Anthony P. Alden is a seasoned litigator with a focus on complex, high-stakes litigation, with particular emphasis on securities, antitrust, and tort disputes. Among Mr. Alden’s recent victories, he successfully co-tried a four week jury trial on behalf of the ResCap Liquidating Trust in an action arising from the defendant mortgage lender’s sale of defective mortgage loans. The trial resulted in a judgment for the Trust of $68 million and was one of dozens of separate actions that have thus far resulted in recoveries of over $1.3 billion for the Trust. Mr. Alden currently represents a group of the world’s largest asset managers, pension funds, and central banks against 16 Wall Street banks accused of rigging the trillion-dollar market for foreign exchange.
In 2018, Mr. Alden was recognized by BTI Consulting Group as a Client Service Super All-Star, with one of his clients noting that, “He is a great attorney—I think he is among few we really like. He stands out because he is committed and hard working.” In 2020, Mr. Alden was included in the 2020 Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers Guide.
Before joining the firm in 2004, Anthony was a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia, practiced at one of the “Big Four” Australian law firms, and was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar at the Columbia University School of Law.
- Allianz Global Investors
- Brevan Howard
- BlueCrest Capital
- ResCap Litigation Trust
- CIFG Assurance
- GE Healthcare
- Norges Investment Management
- Summit Media
- Allstate Insurance
- NML Capital
- Representing 16 groups of the world’s largest asset managers, pension funds, and central banks against 16 Wall Street Banks who are alleged to have rigged the trillion-dollar foreign exchange market.
- Serving as one of the Court-appointed Lead Counsel in In re SSA Bonds Antitrust Litigation, representing proposed classes of investors in SSA bonds alleging that the major dealer banks conspired to fix the prices of the bonds.
- Successfully co-tried four week jury trial on behalf of the ResCap Liquidating Trust (“the Trust”) in one of approximately 85 lawsuits seeking to recover indemnity and damages from correspondent lenders arising from the defendant lenders’ sale of defective mortgage loans that resulted in billions of dollars of losses and liabilities for the Trust’s predecessor, Residential Funding Company. Recoveries for the Trust currently exceed $1.3 billion.
- Represented multiple investors and U.S. Bank as trustee in enforcing put-back rights in mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented BlueCrest Capital in a dispute with a start-up hedge fund over its refusal to redeem BlueCrest’s shares.
- Represented CIFG Assurance North America in litigation against Bank of America, arising out of fraudulent misrepresentations and breaches of contract in connection with financial guaranty insurance on RMBS.
- Represented Allstate Insurance in litigation against JP Morgan Chase, Bear Stearns and WaMu Capital, arising out of fraudulent misrepresentations in connection with $750 million in RMBS.
- Represented Samsung Electronics in patent infringement litigation against Apple relating to smartphone technology and designs.
- Represented NML Capital, Ltd. in efforts to enforce a $285 million judgment against the Republic of Argentina arising out of Argentina’s $100 billion sovereign bond default in 2001.
- Represented private equity firm in professional negligence dispute against international law firm. Secured a favorable settlement prior to filing suit.
- Secured $64 million settlement for class of 3,000 California restaurants in usury and unfair business practice case.
- Represented Alltel Communication Inc. in an employment case filed by a former senior executive. After a bench trial, obtained complete defense verdict on the employee’s claims and victory on Alltel’s counterclaims.
- Represented Dial Communications Global Media Inc. and Excelsior Communications, Inc. in a successor liability action, seeking to hold our clients liable for a $5.4 million judgment entered against another company. After a three-week trial, obtained a complete defense verdict for both companies.
- Represented General Electric Company in multiple patent infringement actions concerning medical information technologies. Obtained favorable settlement for our client in all actions.
- Represented Summit Media LLC in a government contracts case against the City of Los Angeles, CBS Outdoor Inc., and Clear Channel Outdoor, Inc. Obtained summary judgment for the petitioner, which resulted in the court invalidating a highly-valuable settlement agreement entered into between defendants concerning digital billboards. The decision was reported in The Los Angeles Times, The Associated Press, and Yahoo! News, and covered on National Public Radio.
- Represented Teledyne Technologies Incorporated in a trade secret and patent infringement action against Honeywell International Inc. Obtained a favorable settlement for our client.
- Lender Liability & Other Banking Financial Institution Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Domestic U.S. Arbitration
- Media & Entertainment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- International Arbitration
- Litigation Representing Plaintiffs
- Structured Finance & Derivatives Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Antitrust & Competition
- Columbia Law School
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Parker School Certificate for Achievement in International and Comparative Law
- Monash University
(J.D., with honors, 1999)
(B.S., Psychology, with honors, 1997)
(B.A., Psychology and Comparative Religion 1996)
- Clayton Utz:
- Solicitor, 2001-2002
- Solicitor, 2001-2002
- Feingold Partners LLP:
- Articled Clerk, 2000-2001
- Anthony Alden was listed to BTI Consulting Groups’ Client Service Super All-Stars 2018 . With one of his clients noting that “He is a great attorney—I think he is among few we really like. He stands out because he is committed and hard working.”
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers Guide (2020)